The success of your engineering firm depends, to a great extent, on your ability to consistently complete projects on time. If you develop a reputation for completing projects on time, you will get many clients and your engineering firm will be successful. Conversely, if you develop a reputation for not completing projects on time, clients will shy away from awarding you engineering projects. Therefore, your engineering firm will start failing. So it is very important to ensure that you consistently complete the engineering projects you get to work on in a timely manner. Some of the strategies to help you in completing the engineering projects on time include:
- Deploying enough people to work on the projects: it is obvious that if you deploy enough people to work on the projects, you increase the probability of being able to complete the projects on time. It will cost you more, but it will be worthwhile if you look at the bigger picture.
- Investing in good quality equipment: good quality equipment will tend to enhance your engineering firm’s efficiency, thus helping you to complete the engineering projects on time.
- Hiring well qualified staff to assist you in the projects: you should aim to have people who can get things right consistently, so as to ensure that you won’t find yourself having to redo things (and hence end up delaying project completion).
- Getting your staff to work overtime (where necessary): the most important thing is to ensure that the staff are well compensated for working overtime. Then they will be motivated to put in even more hours, to help you complete the projects on time. You can even set up a portal similar to Walmartone.com through which the employees can transparently keep track of the hours worked and the earnings accumulated. So you allocate an account to each employee, similar to the Walmartone account, which the employee can log into, whenever he wants to see how much overtime he has worked, and what he has earned within that duration of time.
- Liaising with suppliers to get materials delivered in a timely manner: you really need to establish good relations with the material suppliers, to ensure that all the materials you need for the engineering projects are delivered on time. You need to communicate well with the material suppliers, ensure that the suppliers are paid on time, and give the suppliers ‘tips’ whenever they make timely deliveries. That way, the suppliers can be motivated to consistently ensure that the materials you need to complete the engineering projects are delivered on time.